Vitality and active lifestyles go hand-in-hand, combining to contribute to peak quality of life. Nutritional supplements that support this lifestyle may:
What is Vitality/Active Lifestyles?
Vitality has been defined as a combination of physical strength and mental vigor, two attributes that promote an active lifestyle that leads to an ideal quality of life. Vitality has also been linked to personal growth, longevity and a meaningful existence that is lived with purpose and enjoyment. This concept of vitality appears to be the culmination of diverse aspects of overall well-being, including energy metabolism, healthy sexual performance, muscle health, robust circulation, sharp cognitive function and youthful hormonal wellness.
Unfortunately, millions of Americans report ongoing issues with maintaining their ideal vitality levels. Perhaps the most dramatic consequence of this “life energy” crisis is inactivity: The United States CDC reports that roughly one out of every four Americans is completely inactive, while nearly two-thirds are not active on a regular basis. This widespread inactivity may be attributed to both physical and mental malaise, both of which can drain motivation and drive. Other contributing factors to less-than-optimal vitality may include aging, which slows the metabolic process; hormonal imbalance; mood concerns; cardiovascular issues including circulation; stress; and joint discomfort.
Paradoxically, one potential solution to low vitality and inactivity is to simply be more active. The CDC reports regular physical activity appears to improve diverse aspects of overall vitality, including joint comfort, mood, cognitive performance, mobility and balance. Plus, in senior populations, the CDC suggests that increased physical activity appears to be linked to more socialization, stronger interpersonal connections, and an improved support network.
Natural nutritional supplements may help to support the vitality that is associated with an active, healthy lifestyle. Multivitamin supplements may be the ideal starting point for building vitality, supplying broad-spectrum nutrition for overall well-being. Specific aspects of vitality/active lifestyles may be further supported with additional nutritional supplements, including:
- L-Arginine & AAKG: L-Arginine is an amino acid known for supporting the production of nitric oxide (NO), a compound that signals blood vessels to open for peak circulatory health.** L-Arginine also supports the production of creatine, a compound that has been linked to helping muscle development and exercise performance.** AAKG is a supplement that combines L-Arginine with a compound called alpha-ketoglutarate, which brings additional support for healthy nitric oxide production.** In encouraging robust circulation, exercise performance and muscle wellness, these two supplements may help to optimize vitality and general well-being.**
- Ginseng: Ginseng is a legendary vitality herb that has been used in traditional practices for thousands of years. Considered an “adaptogen” herb, ginseng was valued in Chinese folk wellness systems for helping to body adapt to various physical and emotional stressors.** Ginseng’s vitality benefits have been traced to active compounds called ginsenosides. There are two main varieties of ginseng: Korean ginseng (sometimes called Asian ginseng) and American ginseng. Korean Ginseng (Panax Ginseng) is associated with endurance and physical performance, while American Ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) is associated with support for normal stress resistance.** Both varieties may assist with vitality concerns.** Ginseng is sometimes combined with bee-derived Royal Jelly, another popular vitality supplement.**
- Maca: This root vegetable is cultivated in the harsh, high-altitude Andes Mountains by local Peruvian tribes. In addition to being an important dietary staple, maca root has a place in tribal rituals, where it is valued for its endurance-promoting properties.** Like ginseng, maca is considered an adaptogenic herb, believed to help balance various biological activities in the body.** Maca’s modern uses focus largely on the root’s reputation for promoting vitality in reproductive function, including sexual performance, stamina and fertility.**
- Tribulus: A traditional wellness herb, tribulus is believed to promote vitality by modulating hormonal wellness.** Its active compounds, called steroidal saponins, are believed to influence both testosterone and estrogen balance in the body.** This biological action may be behind the herb’s reputation for supporting athletic performance, muscle health, sexual function, stamina and endurance—all of which help contribute to overall vitality/active lifestyles.**
- DMAE: A natural compound that is a precursor to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, DMAE (dimethylaminoethanol bitrate) is associated with various aspects of brain health, including bright mood, sharp memory and neuron wellness.** It also supplies antioxidant activity that may help to protect brain cells.** In supporting diverse aspects of cognitive function, DMAE may support the mental vitality that is a key contributor to active lifestyles.**
- Eleuthero: Also known as “Siberian ginseng,” eleuthero is a root herb from a different plant species altogether: Eleutherococcus senticosus. Eleuthero is an adaptogen herb that supplies active compounds called eleutherosides. In ancient folk herbalism practices, eleuthero was used to support “life force” energy.** Today, it is popularly used to help maintain physical endurance and mental alertness.** Among its various biological functions, the root is believed to promote stress resistance—a quality that may be particularly beneficial for vitality/active lifestyles.**
- Horny Goat Weed & Yohimbe: These two herbal supplements are popularly used by men to support healthy sexual function.** Horny Goat Weed supplies an active compound called icariin that has been linked to both romantic desire and circulation to the extremities.** These biological actions may combine to support robust libido and peak performance.** Yohimbe, sourced from the bark of an African tree, supplies a stimulating active compound called yohimbine which is believed to promote various aspects of healthy reproductive function.** Both of these herbal supplements may help to maintain the ideal sexual health that is a major contributor to vitality/active lifestyles.**
Vitality/Active Lifestyle Products
Vitality/active lifestyle products may range from general multivitamin supplements to targeted herbals and other compounds. These supplements may promote health across body systems and functions commonly associated with active, energetic and healthy lifestyles, including brain health, energy metabolism, reproductive function, joint wellness and circulatory wellness. These products are most commonly offered in capsule form, and may also be presented as tablets, liquids and powders.
Vitality/Active Lifestyle Products Directions for Use
Before taking nutritional supplements designed to support vitality and activity, be sure to consult with your doctor. Manufacturers’ recommended serving sizes may vary from product to product.